Thursday, February 23, 2012

New friends, new sauces!

I've been dying to make Chef John's beurre noir sauce for literally weeks now. During a performance 2 weeks ago, I made a new friend! I was talking about something I cooked and she was all, "Oh my goodness! Will you cook for me?!" And I was all, "Heck yes! Tell me what and when!" She requested steak, which this sauces goes great with! Ba BAM, and like that I get to fulfill my wishes. So, here is a long multi-recipe post for the steak, the sauce, and also I made green beans to go with it all. Thinking about it is making me hungry again, which is sad since I just ate all this an hour ago... dang it! Also, this is what I practiced using the grill pan for!! There's also a warning attached to this recipe, but it'll be at the bottom.*

What you'll need:
Steak - your choice on what kind, cut, etc.
   - salt and pepper to taste (I like mine really peppered)
   - same peppers as below, in fact from the same can

Sauce
   - butter, just keep it out, you'll be using a long of it.
   - garlic, 1 clove sliced, not minced or chopped
   - 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar, well aged and delicious in every way (remember that bottle from earlier?)
   - 1 tsp minced red chilies (I used a can of chipotle peppers in adobe sauce that I quickly minced)
   - 1/2 tsp tomato paste (I used 1/2-1 tsp flour and a few splashes of lemon juice)
   - salt and pepper to taste
Green Beans
   - 1/2 lb of fresh green beans
   - butter
   - salt and pepper to taste
   - whatever you want to add to make it special?

Put your green beans in a steamer and get them going. You want to pull them off when they're just a bit under cooked (al dente if it were pasta) and put in cold water to stop the cooking. Put aside! Throw your steaks on the grill or grill pan surrounded by the chipotle peppers (the warning pertains to this portion). Grill to medium-medium well, like a good steak should be! Let rest, and keep warm while the sauce is made! In a medium/small saucepan over medium heat, melt 1 tbsp of butter. When it's a little foamy, add the garlic slices. Let them cook for about 2 minutes, barely starting to brown, then add the balsamic vinegar. Let it reduce by 2/3 (about 3-5 minutes on my stove) and add the chilies. When it's reduced, turn the heat down to low, and add the tomato paste (I added flour and lemon juice because it's for a bit of acidity and body, which flour and lemon juice give). Take the pan off the heat, and add 2-3 more tbsp of butter, and just stir around so it melts. The sauce will already be hot and acidic, so it goes fast. Then pour over your meat! Back to beans! Add them to a medium pan with a tbsp of melted butter, and saute real quick. Throw on the plate with the meat, and devour.

The deadly mace-like pepper!
*When grilling the chipotle peppers, be careful. I'm pretty sure that's what mace is made out of, and so grilling it makes it hard to breathe/speak/think in the kitchen. I couldn't stop coughing and had to throw them away after the first two stakes so I could breathe again.

Also, make sure your plate is warm, or the sauce will congeal - it is mostly melted butter after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment