Sunday, February 19, 2012

The Candy Man Can!

Story time! This weekend I went home because Maryville stifles my creativity and quite frankly I feel like my soul dies a bit more every day I'm there. So, now I'm in the KC area, and Saturday afternoon I see a tweet from my best friend Laura, saying she's downtown at a coffee shop we both love. I decide that I will surprise her and so I do, and we spend the rest of the afternoon in each other's company. In doing so, we decided that we need some Turkish Delight to relive the glory days - long story, as if this one isn't - so we hop on over to World Market to find some. Turns out, WM is no longer selling delight, so I say, "I bet I can make some. That's what I'll do, make us some." So I do.

What you need:
2 cups granulated sugar
2/3 cup cornstarch
1/3 cup powdered sugar
2 1/4 cups water
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/2-1 tbsp flavoring (rosewater* if you want to get traditional)
1/4 cup pistachios (optional)

White/grey Wax!
Put the sugar, lemon juice, and 3/4 cup of water in a pot; simmer and stir on low heat until the sugar is dissolved, including the stuff on the sides. Bring to a boil, and let it get to 240 degrees on a candy thermometer - then remove from the heat. In another pot, put in 1/2 cup cornstarch, cream of tartar, and 1/2 cup cold water, stir together. Add 1 cup boiling water, then stir until everything congeals - it should look like white/grey wax. Combine the "wax" and sugar water over medium heat (lower is better) and stir constantly for about 1 hour, 1:15. Seriously, stir constantly means sit every 2-5 minutes. You'll know it's ready when it's a pale gold color, then remove from heat. Stir in your flavoring, like rose water and pistachios. Pour into a heavily greased baking dish (I mean rub oil or shortening or whatever ALL over that dish, you'll thank me later). Let it cool/set over night. In the morning, or 10-12 hours later, whatevs, and cut into little squares with a heavily greased knife. Then combine the last bit of cornstarch and the powdered sugar, then get those suckers rolling in the dust!

*Rosewater: You can make your own! Gather enough rose petals to tightly pack 1 cup (either go picking or buy a bunch of roses) and combine with boiling water for 30 minutes to an hour.




You can use any flavor, but beware! Some flavors include alcohol, and so when combined in excess to boiling sugar wax lava stuff, you will make a fireball of death. Trust me, I got a full 3 feet out of mine!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Eli! I just wanted to let you know that I nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award. You can check out the details on my most recent post: http://rejoicenailart.blogspot.com/2012/02/violet-vixen-and-versatile-blogger.html

    ReplyDelete