Sunday, June 3, 2012

Perfect Pie Crust!

Dear sweet Jesus I have been so busy and/or too lazy to cook at all lately! I feel as if I've let myself, and you, down. SO! Today I bring you the recipe for perfect homemade pie crust, because TOMORROW I will be showing you how to make a lemon lavender pie!

This pie was a several month long wait for me and my fellow Baking Queen Nicki, but last time it proved to be difficult and turned out disappointing. This time I changed a few things, and I'm flying solo - though not by choice. Nicki, if you're reading this, we need to bake IMMEDIATELY! That being said -

Things you'll need:
3 sticks of butter, diced (unsalted only! duh)
3 1/2 c of flour
1/4 c sugar
1 t salt
1 T white or cider vinegar (I used cider both times, and it was perfect)
1/3 c ice water

Put the flour, salt, sugar, and 1 stick of butter into a food processor and process that shit until it looks like it's mixed. Then add the other 2 sticks of butter, and mix some more. Just guess as to when it's all mixed because with all of the flour mixture you won't really be able to tell. Then add the vinegar, mix, and add the water while everything is still spinning around. Dump it out onto the counter, mush and mash it all into a solid piece of dough (but not too roughly, there should still be butter chunks) and wrap in plastic wrap (I used foil. It works...). Pop that sucker into the fridge for AT LEAST an hour before using. Mine's going to wait overnight because I'm not baking the pie until tomorrow!

3 comments:

  1. GAY BEST FRIEND ELI!!!!! i have 2 things to say.. wait... 3 things.
    1) "Gay Best Friend Eli" is you name just so you know. much like "Andy Koontz" is his name or "Harmonica" is her name. its just how it works.
    2) this is NOT how i make my perfect pie crust but i am enthused to try this out as i LOVE to make pies.
    3) i can not WAIT to see the recipe for lemon lavendar pie. ive never heard of such a thing.
    .....
    4 things. i meant 4 things
    4) you clicked the wrong "follow" widget. both of these are good widgets that you have chosen here but neither of them puts your feed on my dashboard. although its your bloggy blog who am i to tall you how to get people to follow you. im just a bossy chick who wants everything as easy as possible for my dang self. okthnxbye

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eli, glad to see you posting cooking adventures again. May I recommend using chilled vodka for this recipe? You can even try a lemon vodka, I think Absolut and Stoli both have versions. Add as much as 3 or 4 Tbsp, omitting the vinegar, and adjusting the water.

    Take care, and my best to your family,

    Uncle Mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. ELI! I know we need to bake again ASAP. Wonka will be over in a few days and I am planning a week long home vacation soon. I need those from time to time in the summer. Should one of those occur a baking adventure will ensue! Especially since I am living with Mr. John now, we can take as long as we want and be (almost) as loud and obnoxious as we want. I will begin collecting recipes IMMEDIATELY!

    ReplyDelete